There are a large number of low cost cremation options available on the internet today. We highly recommend that you educate yourself so that you choose an option that will care for your loved one in a respectful manner. In addition, many low cost cremation advertisements contain many hidden fees.
We are professionals that will care for your loved one as a member of our own family. We have many personalized service options available. There will never be any hidden costs or fees.
The Cremation Association of North America recommends asking the following questions so you can be certain the firm you have selected to handle this special duty is beyond reproach.
Make sure you select a reputable firm:
- Check the CANA member directory
- Ask your friends and others in your community what they know about the firm.
- Seek advice from your clergy regarding your choice.
- DO NOT choose a firm based solely on price.
Determine the type of services you would like. The type of service you request will be the determining factor in what the cost will be.
- Cremation with visitations and embalming
- Cremation with visitation – ask about a rental casket
- Memorial service – with the cremated remains or without
- Church service
- Direct cremation with no service.
In choosing a firm, CANA recommends you ask the following questions regarding policies and procedures for proper cremation practices.
- Do they have their own crematory or do they work with a cremation firm? If the latter, which crematory do they use?
- Who owns the crematory facility?
- How often do they inspect that facility?
- Are licenses and permits current?
- How many operators do they have, and what type of training do they require? Are they CANA certified?
- Does the crematory have refrigeration?
- How long does the crematory hold the body prior to cremation?
- Does the crematory have liability insurance?
- Does the crematory facility allow witnessing by family members?
Your provider should be very willing to answer any and all of your questions.
If they are unwilling to provide any answers or documents you have requested, IMMEDIATELY find a provider that will.